Saturday, June 15, 2013

Homemade Salsa Verde

We came into a few tomatillas, jalapenos, and onions and harvested some cilantro from the garden...so what could I do by make salsa verde?!  It is nowhere nearly as good as the Herdez salsa verde we got hooked on in Mexico, but it is pretty good for a first try....especially since I watched a YouTube video and adapted the recipe to what I had on hand.

5 tomatillas, roasted in a cast iron skillet
1 onion thickly sliced and roasted along with the tomatillas
1 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, sliced and roasted along with the onions and tomatillas
1 jalapeno--should have used more
7 sprigs cilantro fresh from the garden
3 large cloves garlic, smashed then finely chopped
Juice of two limes
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper

Wash all produce the put the tomatillas, onion slices, and yellow bell pepper in large cast iron skillet over medium heat and roast until the outsides of the skins are blackened somewhat.  Turn everything over every so often.  Mine took about ten minutes until  I was comfortable with the coloring.

Put into a Cuisinart (or blender) with all the other ingredients, then put in about 1/4 -1/2 cup water and blend until completely blended.  Taste it to see if it needs more salt and pepper


First ever fresh salsa verde

This is what it looked like before I put it in the refrigerator to chill. I dipped a saltine cracker into for a taste--since we did not have any tortilla chips at the moment--and liked it. I then ate three teaspoonfuls out of the container just plain.  So yummy.  Needed more salt and more jalapenos.





This is the kitchen ready to clean after the salsa verde and applesauce projects.  And the breakfast and lunch projects...Instead I am writing this blog post.  Perhaps I will go clean now before I get too tired and bag it for the day.  If you look closely you can see the soap suds in the hot water.....

No comments:

Post a Comment