Saturday, December 15, 2012

Miso Soup Broth

Having become enamored of miso soup on a trip to Utah some years ago, I have learned how to make it at home.  It is a very simple recipe.

In a small saucepan, place 3 cups of water and bring to a boil.  Add one teaspoon of Hon-dashi, which you can purchase at an Asian market, and stir well.

Get out your small stainless steel strainer and place in it one tablespoon of miso paste...red, yellow, or white.  I have tried the sweet white (though I don't know why it is called 'sweet') and the red, and like both of them.

Remove the boiling water and Hon-dashi from the stove and stir the miso paste through the strainer into the Hon-dashi water.  When the miso has dissolved in the water mixture, pour it into a mug and top with any amount of finely sliced green onions/scallions, and drink up when it is cool enough.

If you like seaweed, you can add some seaweed to the boiling water until it re-hydrates.  For myself, since the first time I made it, I overdid the seaweed, and have since not used it at all. I will probably go back to it, but will break it up much more and will only put a tiny bit of it in the soup.

Filling and delicious soup.  It has helped me drop my weight, which is a very very good thing!

Red miso paste and Hon-Dashi are the main ingredients with water.

Sliced scallions add a lot to the soup.  Try not to think it looks like dishwater.  That will put you off this delicious soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment